The Head of CFX is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Department operations.
Together with the Head of CG, the Head of CFX determines and works towards achieving the smoothest possible workflows and a proper communication with the other departments. Working closely with the CG Supervisors, VFX Supervisors and production team. The Head of CFX is responsible for achieving the correct shows’ output, artistically and technically by properly distributing the tasks and maintaining the highest quality standards.
- Assuring the evolution of the CFX Department and generating a creative and stable CFX pipeline.
- Together with the Head Of CG, planning and developing the studio-standard CFX workflow, tools and their use on shows as well as assessment and management of resources for CFX across all shows.
- Setting the direction and maintaining standards for the department.
- Working closely with CG Supervisors and VFX Supervisors on shows to ensure that the shots delivered by the department satisfy the needs of the show.
- Regularly catching up with CFX Leads and CFX Crew, reviewing shots and workflows, ensuring parity of approach across Trixter facilities.
- Coordinating with show Production Managers to produce realistic schedules, assign team resources and ensure show deadlines are met.
- Helping build and manage the team by being involved in recruitment and career development (training, appraisals).
- Work closely with software development, Head of CG and Head of Pipeline to spec software needs for CFX tools.
- Actively keeping up to date on production techniques, CFX RnD and follow developments in techniques and technology and oversee new tools lifecycle, including prototypes, beta testing and feedback and the rollout of any updates.
- Communicating with other HODs to ensure quality standards are met.
- Participating in the bidding process for CFX.
- In conjunction with the Department Manager, ensuring and evaluating the needed personnel for accomplishing tasks.
- Quality checking the output of the department on all shows, before review admittance.
- With the Department Coordinator, presents the dailies to the CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor on the show.
- Participates in the completion of all shows technical post-mortems and follows up on achieving new goals.
- Advanced knowledge in Houdini © and according workflows.
- Establishing and maintaining a professional working environment that fosters a strong work ethic and creates a positive work experience.
- Training and mentoring department members.
- Overseeing the on-boarding process of new department members.
- Participating in the recruiting process for artists by reviewing artist demo reels and participating in interviews.
- Escalation point for leads and artist management to resolve conflicts.
- Working closely with Recruitment and Human Resources to identify recruitment needs.
- With the Head of CG, maintaining the department’s artists evaluation.
- With the Head of CG and HR, assessing training and development needs for artists.
- Ensuring project success by making sure show teams have the tools and workflows they need to deliver on time, within budget and to the highest possible standard.
- Ensuring maximum efficiency of workflow procedures and tools.
- Reports to Head of CG and CG / VFX Supervisor on the show.
- Direct Reports: CFX Leads.